View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 AM
baruchrusha

Red face Kosher Pigs-My Take on String Stars

Hi Everyone! I'm a new-ish quilter who has finally found fabric and a pattern I adore and have started to make as my first full quilt. When I saw the scrappy star pattern with its wonderful six pointed stars, the first thing that came to mind was one of the things I hold dear, being Jewish. Of course the six points made me think of a Mogen Dovid or better known as a Star of David, a Jewish star (think Israeli flag.)

I have lovingly named this quilt 'Kosher Pigs'. My idea is to make this quilt about the two things that I adore most. My father who passed in 2010 gave me my love for pigs (he was the reason we had a pet pig for a year when I was in third grade), so I knew I HAD to make a pig quilt. I collect anything piggy and was in love when I saw the following fabrics.

I'm using the following fabrics as my focal Fabrics, using pinks, blues, and greens for strips.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]359797[/ATTACH]

I saw the pattern and the fabric and couldn't resist making it. The advice I read is that your first real quilt should be made FOR YOU so you can always look back upon it (and not worry that your novice skills will be noticed if you give it as a gift like we all want to as quilters.)

I was thinking that the focal fabrics could be used for triangles every few star points (one of the six in the pattern) to bring them more into play. Since pigs aren't Kosher, I would hate to have them be butchered when I cut them into strips smaller than 2 1/4". and to let the bigger piggies on them completely show I'd have to cut them at least 4", and since the pattern calls for that are 5 3/4" it seems silly to have 4" strips of one fabric. It would be a random scrappy look to them. I also have the following fabric and can't decide if I should strip it since the pattern it tiny or make it a third focal...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]359798[/ATTACH]

Do you guys/gals think I should only have a single 60° triangle for the focal fabrics, or an entire diamond? Do you think I should use the two fabrics in the same star or only one of the points? IF I use the third fabric as another focal, should I do every other point of the star a focal (since obviously three is half of six)? The last question I have for now is if you guys think this needs foundation like original square string quilts? In the pattern and video they didn't use it, but I wasn't sure if it was something that SHOULD be done to support the strips that are from 1 1/4" to 2 1/4".

Hope to hear from everyone soon with ideas and thoughts on this quilt of Kosher Pigs!

*Huggles*
Alexis
Attached Thumbnails shiningstar_200.jpg   medium_http-hawthornethreads-com-images-westminster_and_free_spirit-300-david_walker_get_toget.jpg   cefqq1qegk%7E%24-kgrhqz-lqe1f6j-mg-bnsec-85kq%7E%7E_3.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-03-2012 at 04:59 AM. Reason: pm to member