View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Default Mosaic Stars quilts

Mom and I had a retreat weekend at my house this weekend. She helped me make a sample for a workshop I'll be teaching at our local guild in October. The main quilt is already made and shown to the members (here and at the guild), but I wanted a couple more examples in smaller sizes.

The black one I made from fabrics pulled from my stash -- including the favorite fabric black border with squiggles -- an Alexander Henry print from 1997 -- that I've been hoarding for the right project. The "right project" never came along because I never could bear to cut into the fabric!! I am IN LOVE with this quilt....don't know what it is....just the colors I suppose and it's going to hang in my studio as soon as I finish layering, quilting, and binding it!! ! Guess I'm back in a brights/contemporary/artsy phase after 10 years stuck on 1800s reproductions, LOL!

The pastel one Mother made from fabrics she pulled from my stash. I personally feel the yellow is too pale, but she refused to go with a more saturated yellow, so I suggested she make the border with the yellow, rather than in the micro-print beige. She struggled with the "butterflies" in the border -- Mom has dyslexia -- but bullied her way through and is very pleased with the results. This quilt will probably be sent to my former business partner in Austin to be sold at her birthing center's boutique.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails black-mosaic-stars.jpg   black-mosaic-stars-detail.jpg   yellow-mosaic-stars.jpg