View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Country1

DH and I have had this discussion multiple times. His DD has NO interest in sewing, only interest is what I sew for her, such a scrub tops, quilts,...
His son has NO interest, he thinks it's funny we talk about it, but when we buy a new machine or another antique one, his response is usually something like 'How much was that? Don't you all have enough yet?" or my favorite " Should you all really need to buy anymore of those?" DH tells him "Don't worry son, we're having fun spending your inherientence!" Has kinda turned into the family joke.
My DD wants to sew, bought her a machine, but she is scared of it. ( needle in finger as a teenager) I will say she at least she says she wants to learn, but have doubts she will. I will in her defence say, she is 24, married and has a little girl, who just turned 6 and she works full time in the O.R. and attends college full time. So, really, when does she really have the time?
My DH says he would never get rid of any of the quilts. We still have 2 his Grandfather made. He loves the antique machines as much as I do. DGD is 6 and likes to "sew", but like her Mother she may out grow it. Don't know what will happen to it, but DH and kids have promised it will not go in the garbage or in a SALE. I guess time will tell.
I hate going to estate auctions and there is someone's life work laying out there on the table or ground to just be gotten rid of and the family doesn't want any of it. Especially, quilts and quilt tops. I have come to tears about this before. But we have bought some and my DH and I call it a rescue mission and talk about wondering what stories they could tell or the hands and history of it.
DH is 53 and I am 43, maybe we are to sentimental, but I can only dream one of our girls or grandchildren loves to sew someday!....
If no one in the family wants my collection, I want it donated to a charity organization.
Like where I make Pillow Cases for Foster Kids.
But rest assure who ever gets it all, better enjoy it and not just let them sit there and ruin, because I will know where they live and might just visit! LOL

Last edited by Country1; 09-03-2012 at 07:04 PM.