View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 06:05 AM
tdgiffin

Default Good news! Happy! Happy!

The missionary who took some of my first batches of pillowcase dresses to Africa was kind enough to send back some pictures of girls wearing the dresses. If I understood better the directions for how tompost them, I would.

It was a fantastic feeling to see those happy faces receiving a new dress for the first time. The kids there are dressed it tatters for the most part. When you have to choose between food and clothes, you choose the food.

I have posted it before, but I will post it again in case anyone is interested in helping out. The name of the organization that normally distributes these dresses is Little Dresses for Africa. I am lucky because I can directly distribute my dresses. Www.littledressesforafrica.com. The website includes patterns for making dresses and britches.

In addition, there is another charity called Days for Girls. You can sew special kits for them to distribute to the older girls in these orphanages. It is a delicate subject, so I will post this carefully as I know that some of you might be interested in sewing for this. This ministry supplies young ladies with special kits that girls need for that special time of the month. They do not have access to the needed items during that time, and therefore miss out on a week of school each month. That is a lot of missed education. If you google Days for Girls, you will find more info there. I will not be sewing these kits becauss I am devoted to the dresses and britches, but some of you may like this project better. The good thing about what is in the kits is that everything is washable and reusable. They also send volunteers to teach the ladies how to make their own items in the hopes that they will pass this on to others.

It is so gratifying to see something that goes from your humble hands and home into the hands of a child sho may not have experienced the love we feel when someone makes something for us. I try to press love into every stitch, honestly! I hope that some of it makes its way across the miles, and into the hearts of children who need it so much!