Old 10-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Edie

I cook the biggest turkey I can find, even if it is just the two of us. Our son, daughter in law and grandchildren come here or go to her mother's. Doesn't matter to us. There is always food on hand for anyone who comes here on Thanksgiving. Besides we love football!

Christmas is my favorite time - we decorate the inside and the outside and this year I am going to put twinkle lights in my bottle tree. I come from Swedish and German descent and we make Potatis Korv (Swedish Potato sausage) and then on Christmas Eve Day the traditional Stollen is made - I am the official baker of the Stollen now :D . We all meet at Mom's and she has the Matriarchal chair and gifts and love and laughter are all bestowed on her and the rest of us (total 25). Mom is 93 and last year was the last we will all get together simultaneously. It is too much for her and she will make her Christmas last two weeks with everyone coming one family at a time.

The kids come over to our house on Christmas morning and we open gifts and then eat! They have the inlaws to go to also. So when they leave we just collapse and eat leftovers.

I love the holidays. I am particularly going to be excited about this one. I made the kids a quilt (sampler). So I think maybe next year a gift I will make will be a blanket for all the dogs in the family. Seven! I made one for Bess (our dog) and she loves to be covered up in it.

Besides the REASON FOR THE SEASON, we are all family and one way or the other we will get together. I love Christmas. I love the tree, the ornaments that we have collected for the past 50 years. I love to see the little ones in the Christmas program at church and remember the times I was in the programs on Christmas Eve. I particularly remember being Gabriel and had the most beautiful angel costume, wings with gold ribbon on it and a halo made of a coathanger and gold ribbon - the one and only time I had a halo. As I got older (teen) I would play the organ for the Christmas program. This continued on until six months before I got married. My future husband and I were having a drink after I was through with work. Well, I had a little too much. When I got to church I was a little topsy turvy and I put on my robe, sat down at the organ and played Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring without a mistake - the first and only time.

I love Christmas. Edie