View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Tashana

I appreciate the work that goes into all quilts but my hart and taste tend to lean to organized chaos. In the beginning I hated quilting but loved the patchwork. I avoided the quilting part by making victorian style crazy quilts. They are a lot of work and although that look like a mess of fabric thrown together they are really not. Piecing can be challenging due to the use of different fabrics from silks to heavy upholstery. All the pieces have to be harmonious because they all have to be embellished with silk, yarn and/or floss embroidery. They are both hand and machine pieced and always hand embroidered. They may not be everybody's taste but the work is difficult and intricate.
As for modern quilts, they appeal to my rebellious side. Patchwork is as much art as it is craft and I like to break the constraints of traditional quilting and express myself in any way I like. It may not be everybody's cup of tea but I enjoy the freedom it gives me. It appeals to my creative side because no two quilts are alike.