View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 04:34 PM
wolph33

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
Thank you! I agree 100% with feline fanatic. There IS a lot of work before we even start on the quilts. I'll add one of my peeves --- the backing!! If you don't have the room to lay the backing out totally flat, then please don't piece it!! I know, I'm asking a lot -- but I get a lot of them that aren't sewn straight and the backing is wonky. Also -- just because the corners are squared --- doesn't mean the backing is straight across. Folding a 108" wide backing 4 times and cutting will NOT, most of the time, make it straight across. Nine times out of 10 you'll have a wavy line. We have to pin or attach that wonky backing on the a straight bar. If it's not straight -- we battle it. I have one customer that just doesn't get my hints, so I automatically have to re-cut. I HATE that -- I'm always afraid I'll screw it up!!!

Make sure all your seams are sewn TIGHT!!!! I quilted a paper pieced quilt last winter -- was to be for a competition. We're not sure what happened, but toward the bottom, after I'd finished 90% of the quilt, the seams started coming apart............it looked like she'd basted the seams. SAD!!!

Oh -- one other pet peeve --- LOL --- if your quilter requires 8" total extra for the backing, please, please, please don't just add lots more!!! I had one come in with the backing being 3 YARDS longer than I needed.....yes, I had to cut it off....totally unnecessary!!! She'd bought it, wanting the extra fabric, and didn't trim before it came to me.

Okay -- that all being said -- I'm not a witchy person ------ I just want to get the word out. I appreciate all those who have sent me quilts, I LOVE LAQing, and have had the time of my life since buying my machine. My BP did raise at times, but we're over that. I love the variety of quilts that come in, the color choices, have now discovered I REALLY DO like purple!!!!!!!
well said.there is so much more to it than most realize.