View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 02:20 PM
MrsBoats

Default building a better ironing board

I have acquired a nifty mid-century mod 9-drawer dresser (whose mirror is long gone). After it gets spiffied up a bit (a date with Murphy's Oil soap at the last) I intend to make it into a *big* ironing board. My question is, are there plans out there, or am I winging it?

The board is going to need raised above the level of the dresser top-I'm not that short. I'd like to use the space between for storage baskets, if I can find some that fit. So I'm thinking legs of some sort, possibly 2x4s, and a top. I can't see the top needing to be all that heavy, probably 3/8" plywood.

A couple questions:

Do I need to drill holes in the backing board for the steam to get through? I've seen directions to do so, but I have yet to see a vintage wood ironing board that has holes.

What do I use for padding? Ideally, I'd like to find a couple of old wool army blankets, but until I do, what? And how many layers?

What do I top it with? I recovered my old ironing board with cotton and don't like it-it faded horribly and just didn't tolerate the heat well-you can clearly see which end I use the most. Mattress ticking? Canvas, duck or muslin?

I'd like to make the top bigger than the board, make a channel around the edge and thread it with elasticord so I can cinch it tight, but still take it off to wash it.

I'm open to suggestions, how-I-did-its, and here's-a-how-to links. Any advice is welcome!