View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 06:11 AM
ghostrider

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I'm taking a class on modern quilting and learning about "wonky". She's teaching how to do "wonky" very gently. At first, I thought I wouldn't like the modern quilting at all and now I love it and I thought for sure I wouldn't like the "wonky" and now I love it too. Boy, I love batiks now. What's going on with me? I'm changing. I'm liking a whole different kind of quilting now. I use to only like traditional. Now this modern quilting is something I'm really getting into. I just bought a bunch of solid colors, just what I need for this modern quilting. I would never have bought solids a year ago. It would have all been floral. I'm moving, I guess.
Modern Quilting has nothing to do with 'wonkyness', ignoring quality workmanship, abandoning print fabrics, random color placement, or lowering the bar in any way. In general, the modern designs and esthetic (at least here on the east coast) include a bolder use of prints, geometric shapes, negative space and contrast...nothing wonky or scrappy about it.

With any new style, there are lots of off-shoots, especially in the beginning. With the freedom of Modern Quilting, perhaps wonkyness is simply one of those off-shoots, but it is not a 'qualifying' element of Modern Quilting and should not discourage anyone who dislikes wonkyness from taking a good look at Modern Quilting. It can really grab you. (Quilts pictured are from the Boston Modern Quilt Guild exhibit at the 2012 Lowell Quilt Festival...their very first show)