View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 AM
Amythyst02

Usually you can get some real bargains from those craft fairs, etc. However in your case it seems that person was only interested in making a huge commission. I would suggest that you list what things are important to you, in a machine. Such as large throat, needle down, etc. Then head off to your local dealer. First you will be able to purchase your machine locally, and have someone to teach you how to use your new machine. You will have local service, and warranty service. You should also hopefully like the folks you are dealing with.

I might add that your local shop probably has a lot of super nice trade ins' that you can get for a fraction of the cost. Also ask about store demo machines, there is another word for it, but for the life of me I cannot think of it. I purchased my Babylock quest from the dealer here at a fraction of the cost because it had been a store demo. It was complete with all the accessories, and I love it. Additionally once your at the shop, be sure to use the machine yourself. Take along the types of fabric you will be sewing on. At the time I bought mine I was working on a rag quilt and the machine I had would not go over 6 layers of flannel. So every machine I tested had to be able to go over that amount of fabric. I took samples of the fabric with me, to test.

You should be able to get a very nice machine for $1000. Good luck and keep us posted on your search.