View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 03:34 AM
bobquilt3

I am allergic to many of the battings so I layer my quilt, pin it thoroughly and sew the binding on. This way I don't have to deal with exposed batting while I am quilting. The optimum phrase here is "pin it thoroughly" because if I rush I can have a less than stellar back when I'm done. I think if I turned it over and checked the back more thoroughly and basted before I quilted it I would have fewer problems. Unfortunately that is a very big "if" because I am always in a hurry. LOL

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I remember taking a class years ago and the instructor did her quilting just opposite of what most do now. She layered her quilt and turned it, she called it birthing the quilt. She basted the quilt with long running stitches from side to side and top to bottom then diagonal both ways. She then machine quilted the quilt and had no puckers or poofs. She then trimmed off the seam from the turning and added a binding. I'm sure she had a book she wrote, I remember her signing some. I didn't buy one as I was addicted to crochet at the time. LOL