Thread: $25 Bernina
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 08:38 AM
1screech

About 18 months ago, I went to an estate sale that I saw on Craig's list. The lady was a Dr. of some sort and a sewer and quilter. She also was 20 times the fabric hoarder that I am. She had a house full of fabric, a trailer full of fabric and sewing and quilting notions, another stand alone place where she taught classes with full bolts and a garage full of books. I bought around 500 yards of fabrics, notions, rulers, blades and lots of fabric kits, patterns, blocks of the month from different quilt stores, and fat quarter bundles. My husband nearly had a stroke as I was dragging my niece, friends, DIL and her friends, sister out there about every other day and bringing back loads. I spent right at $150 for all. It was unbelievable. I had pictures of a lot of it, but never posted them...why, I don't know. I got fabric for a friend that sews many donation quilts and more than what I can describe.

Well, I saw a garage sale advertised and it said sewing tables so I decided to go look. It was one of the nieces who had been running the sale at her aunts. We recognized each other and I looked at the sewing tables and asked her if she sold her aunt's machines. She said she had one left. She took me to an outside shed and there that baby sat with roach poo all over her outside. I plugged it in and she purred so I said how much? She said $25 and I almost knocked her down to give her the money.

Both the nieces who were trying to clean out the aunt's properties were very nice ladies. I had had shoulder surgery and was in a mess and a sling. I had to take someone with me every time I went because I could only use one hand. It must have been 90-100 degrees in the buildings where we were digging through boxes of fabrics. Included in all I got were quilt kits that originally had been $70 to $198. Some of those I have given away to friends who could not make the sale. I paid like $3. each for them. Amazing what quilters will do for a good price on quality cotton fabric. One day she made ice cold lemonade and brought it too us. They just wanted to get rid of everything so the place could be sold. I probably brought 6-8 people out to buy so I guess that is why she remembered me...or I am just memorable. Bet when you asked how I found the 930, you never expected a book. I cleaned the poo off and when I opened her up, there was hardly a speck of dust so the aunt had really maintained her machines. I have found doing something nice for someone always comes back 10-fold on me. I am so excited over this machine.