View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 11:42 AM
MonaMcC

Wow! Thank you all so much for all of your input. It will definitely alter the way I will view these quilts in the future. The ones I was trying to describe have no pattern to follow. The video I watched was a lady showing how to design one so that you would know the finished size would be exactly what you intended without having to go back and sew on any more pieces. For her example she hung some batting on a board on the wall. She took various sizes, shapes and colors of remnants and randomly placed them on the batting (they would lightly stick to it) until the arrangement pleased her and the whole space was filled. Many pieces were much larger than necessary to fill a spot and other pieces would cover part of that so when she began taking sections off of the wall arrangement she would just cut off the portion that was covered up and sew them together. She worked in sections and then sewed the sections together to finish it up. Several comments on QB had pictures attached which were very pretty quilts with wonky blocks but were arranged in a very pleasing way. The finished product on the video I watched had no rhyme or reason to the composition other than the placement of the colors. I didn't hate it by any means. It just didn't have anything in it that appealed to me. I am thankful that we see many variations of quilting on this board. I may be just like some of the comments posted where I'll change my tune when something DOES appeal to me! I look forward to seeing all that you create as inspiration and encouragement to those of us still learning!