View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 01:09 PM
StaceySewsSorta

Cool New to this and kind of a hot mess!

Hi all! My name is Stacey, and my user name pretty much lays it out there! 30, mom of 2 little girls (my youngest, 4, just started pre-school , currently planning my wedding (or his funeral, I havent decided for sure which, yet!!!)

I am completely self-taught, working from a Brother machine that sat brand-new-unopened in the closet for THREE YEARS before I ever touched it. LOL

I couldnt tell you that AHA! moment that made me want to quilt , but I think for being a "self-taught beginner", I do "ok"

I have to my name thus far:

1 twin size quilt (My first - "BooBoo Blankie")
1 baby quilt but its actually pretty large, NEARLY twin size (with matching pillow)
1 keepsake wall hanging quilt

And I have one in the works currently. (Rustic Patriotic-themed rag quilt)

I am actually into MANY things and self-taught in all of them: sewing (baby clothes, pj's), quilting, pillows, furniture MAKING as well as refinishing/re-purposing, cake decorating and random crafting.

The "SewsSorta" part of my user name comes from being self-taught. I dont know any of the "proper" terms or techniques, cant follow a pattern and still havent figured out how use my cutting mat and clear square properly, but I manage and I can run my little machine and my stitches serve the purpose! LOL

Dont know what a "disappearing 9 patch" is, cant miter a corner, have NO clue what bias tape is.... Yeah, told you Im a hot mess!!!! Oh, and I cant hand sew to save my life. Cant sew a button hole, Ive never sewn a zipper.... I could go on and on!!!!!!

I will post some pictures later, but wanted to jump in and introduce myself while I have a few minutes! Great to "meet" you all; all of your work is LOVELY and inspiring!