View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 06:07 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Sarah in Brooklyn View Post
Hi everyone. I want to make this baby quilt:

I think the patterns should be quite small, since each section of each block will only be about 3x3. Is there a rule of thumb for this?
It depends on the look you want.

Do you want a theme, or a specific color to dominate (or be the accent)?
And if you choose a bunch of Kaffe&Co. fabrics, it could be interesting as you wouldn't know what you're going to get when it gets cut up.

I learned this technique around 10 years ago - took a class at the City Quilter called Slice and Dice.

I changed it a bit to Slice & Mince - I put 2 extra cuts in because I wanted it less chunky than just the 9 patches.

Each of my blocks has 16 different fabrics.
(Trick is start off with a bigger block and leave a larger section in the center so the pieces will be similar sizes.)
I make the blocks but set them together without a common background fabric.

Can you see how some of the individual fabrics are more graphic than others? Or more solid/blender types?

I can't find the pic but a friend did a brilliant baby quilt using just Aunt Grace fabrics - usually not my favorite but it looked fabulous.

67"x67" (over 150 different batiks)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]361126[/ATTACH]

A small wallhanging - I had a FQpack of "skins" and wanted to use them up quickly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]361124[/ATTACH]

A quick baby quilt - start to finish in an afternoon.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]361125[/ATTACH]

I started with 8.5" to 9" squares (depending on which square ruler I could find).

By the end, I trimmed them down to 6" or 6.5" UNFINISHED - I usually just found the smallest ones and used that as the determining factor.
Attached Thumbnails safarisd.jpg   r-bw-sd.jpg   sdgreen.jpg  

Last edited by MTS; 09-07-2012 at 06:12 PM.