Old 09-07-2012, 08:50 PM
GrannieAnnie

Originally Posted by lswan View Post
I make lap quilts to give chemo/cancer patients. I don't get many fabric donations, so I buy most of the fabric myself. I try to find garage sales, not too much luck. However what I need are some pattern ideas for quilts about 52 or so by 60 something (can be flexible) that are:
-don't use just big blocks of fabric sewn together
-don't use a million little small pieces
-are quick, easy, and look nice (time is of the essence when I get a name)

-I don't care if the patterns are free or not, I would buy them
After making the same pattern 10 times in a row, I get crazy. Thank you for reading this. If you can recommend something that would fit the bill, I would be grateful.
Linda

Find a source for the old traditional patterns. Many employ HST and will be attractive using just one big block then framing out the block in borders. I'd recommend my favorite book "1001 Patchwork Designs" by Maggie Malone, but then I've already done so a few dozen times. (tee hee) I just finished up a couple autism quilts using the multicolored jigsaw fabric (at Hobby Lobby) and gingham checks. One is done in pink and the other in blue using my favorite "Annie's Choice".

Also, got to the QuiltersCashe site and pick a fairly simple block. Ignore her copyright threats------------she may own a block or two, but most that she uses have been in the public domain since her granny was in diapers.

Another thing you might do, is just make 16 HST blocks each about 12 inches. Then just lay them out until you find an arrangement you like. You can finish out the size using borders.

Keep your eye open for sheets, duvet covers and such. I've found items that are next to new and get them for peanuts. One of my favorites was a pretty pink (even though I hate pink) rose patterned sheet. My guess is that it had never been used. So I got what amounts to about 6 yards of fabric for $2 (Goodwill). I also bought a next to new reversible duvet cover in a $5 bag at a rummage sale--------rolled it up good so I had plenty of space for more stuff. I'd guestimate I got around 8 yards of beautiful fabric for about one dollar.