Thread: sewing machines
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 04:22 AM
Yarn or Fabric

I'm actually considering purchasing a sewing machine. I had a Bailey 15" on a frame that I never used. I sold that and I'm looking in to purchasing something to replace it. I don't know what since I'd like a straight stitch machine with about 11" of throat. I would have kept my Bailey or considered purchasing the 11" version to use on a table however I really would like to have a walking foot with it and there are no feed dogs on a Bailey.

For me, machines are getting to be all electronic bells and whistles. There are not many basic machines that I would like to purchase. I have considered and am leaning towards the Juki 2010. I will compare it to the Brother 1500 and the Janome 1600 but I'm leaning towards the Juki. If it were just a little longer, I would have bought it already.

I looked at the Janome Horizon which does have an 11" throat but it was for me just a bit too slow. Even at full speed I wanted it to go faster and that was a disappointment. I already have a Janome machine with all the bells and whistles. It just doesn't have the throat that I want so I have to look elsewhere.

I have also considered the Sunshine 16 on a table or even with the frame since I could feasibly use it on a table although the handles are not removable. That is not a big deal for me. It would give flexibility to the machine if I could use it both ways - but again, no walking foot capability. I would go for the Sunshine over the Bailey though for speed purposes alone.

In a nutshell... I think machines are getting too electronic. I don't care about the fancy stitches. I just want something that will sew a fast but nice straight stitch. Maybe a zigzag. I want it to have a long, taller neck. The biggest thing is that I don't want to spend a few months' paychecks to buy the it. Keep it under $1500. I know 2k is a lot for people but for what I want, I have to be reasonable. If a Juki 2010 with a 9" throat costs about $1000, I think that adding a few inches to the machine shouldn't double the price.