Thread: Quilt Cop
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 04:45 AM
leatheflea

I'm ashamed this morning that I let this woman get the best of me. Quilting is what I do. I remember my first quilt made completely from scraps of other crafty projects. Made for a memory a something long gone. Made as an ending to something cherished. Its now tucked away with all its memories with another quilt. That other quilt was made by a teenage girl that wanted to impress me and my son while he was in high school. He wanted to throw it out. Momma kept it. It meant the world to me. Just squares of fabric, no fancy stitches but what was in that girls heart when she made it. It makes me smile every time I take it out. My son can't believe I still have it. Someday he'll cherish it as much as I do. I wouldn't take $10,000 for it, priceless. I wonder sometimes if she still quilts, her grandmother did, she helped her put it together. Did me and grandma inspire the quilting bug. Will she someday wonder if her quilt still lives. Will she tell her grandchildren the story of her first quilt and trying to win a young mans heart. Could she be the next Sharon Shambers. You never know what real treasures you have or what spark you might ignite. I quilt because its what I do. At 16 you could've told me that someday you'll spend your days sewing and having a love affair with fabric and I would've told you were nuts. Often I'm asked why are you making that quilt, whos that one going to, what are you going to do with that one? I don't know, I just make them. Why does a gardener plant, why does a painter paint, why does a singer sing....Why, why, why ....it's just who I am, it's what I do. And that's just what they do! There's no comparing! Tada! Now can we all just sing a song and light some candles, gives some hugs, maybe a little wine and dancing. Man we can get all uptight, can't we? Geesh....lets all go do some chain piecing and crank up the radio....."I got my toes in the water, azz in the sand,
Not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand
Life is good today, life is good today......"