Old 09-08-2012, 04:58 AM
StaceySewsSorta

Smile Rag quilt. "Make it in a day", they said! Yeah, right!!!

Ok, first off (as I mentioned in my Intro post) I dont "quilt". (The pretty, all-over sewing.) So when this rag quilt tutorial I found online said "quilt as you go", I was all

AND, they said it could be made in a day!! Sweet!

Yeah. Well.... It took 4 days JUST to get all my fabric squares cut! Another day to assemble my front-batting-backing "sandwiches", and I am STILL trying to get all my squares quilted so they can FINALLY be assembled!

With school starting for my kids, I got sidetracked and let the quilt sit, but I would REALLY like to GIT ER DONE!!!! LOL!!

I went with patriotic colors (NO Patriotic PRINTS.... keep reading) but with a rustic twist.... Its almost ALL florals and other prints that evoke "old fashioned" or "pioneer" times prints/fabrics.... and there is NO WHITE fabric at all.

The top is all reds, maroons, creams, browns, and blues of varying shades. The back is plain neutral muslin, as well as other cream, tan, ecru, brown, etc squares.

I have ZERO intention of making a "pattern". I like the idea of throwing these squares together hap-hazardly.

But I fubarred. (I think) The "quilt as you go" part is what made me want to try it....
SO as I started quilting my sandwiches together, I alternated each stack (one stack=one row) with square quilting and X quilting... figuring on doing "every other row" on the finished quilt with little quilted squares and X's. I have not finished all my sandwiches, and Im second guessing my "every other" plan.

What is your experience with rag quilts?? May I see some pictures to refer to?

(Oh, and the other thing that sold me on this kind of quilt? No mitering corners! YAY!!!!) LOL!