Old 09-08-2012, 08:50 AM
AngelinaMaria

I really appreciate all the responses. This is a very frustrating situation as I am sure there is an answer I just can't find it. I think most likely it is the answer about using batiks with regular weave fabrics. This is my first time using batiks.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I did indeed cut these strips LOF and I carefully worked on getting straight of grain first.

I am working with strips that are only 10 inches long (by one inch wide) so they are farily short. I am only making strip sets with 2 and 3 strips for 4 patches and 9 patches so it is not like sewing a 40inch long strip together with 10 other strips (like a bargello or other type quilt). The bowing is happening as a result of the sewing. I know this because they go into the sewing machine straight and then come out slightly bowed. I have played around with the tension but have not tried to vary the pressure on the presser foot. I will try that today. I will also try to use the walking foot and see but the walking foot on this machine (it is a Babylock Espire) doesn't work very good. PLus, I don't think I can use an "off center" stitch width with the walking foot and that is the only way to get a good scant quarter inch seam.

Last edited by AngelinaMaria; 09-08-2012 at 08:52 AM.