Old 09-08-2012, 09:46 AM
margecam52

Try holding the top strip up, just above the surface of the bottom strip...matching the cut edge. I do this when stitching curves, but lately, I've started doing it all the time..it seems to help some. Also, I agree that once you sew the one pair of pieces, when you are ready to add another strip...reverse and start sewing on the edge you ended sewing on. If you do like I do, and sew a pair together, set it aside, sew another pair...then make sure to put a pin in the ending edge...so you know that when you join two pair together...you want to have the pin from both be your start end. This in effect gives you the alternating stitching direction.
Lastly...remember to Press every seam... I use a spray bottle or can of sizing/starch...and "set" the seam..then open out, one seam at a time and press them to one side...all in the same direction.

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I am sewing a large number of 10 inch long by 1 inch wide 2 and 3 strip sets. The background strip is a regular cotton and the other strips are Hoffman batiks. When I sew 2 strips together, they come out of the sewing machine slightly bowed. The center spot is bowed down (so it looks like a smile when placed on the cutting board the same side up and was sewn) by 1/8 of an inch. I am wonder if there is something I should be doing or changing that would prevent that.

I am using a new sharp 70/10 needle that was recommended to me for use with my batiks.

I am using Connecting Threads thread which is 50 weight.

Is there something that will stop this from happening or do you just need to correct it by straightening out the piece gently when you set it to press?