Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 PM
ragquilter

I do a lot of rag quilts and I find they take more than a day. I do enjoy making them and you can be very creative with them. I use a lot of recycled denim jumpers from thrift stores, I find jeans to be heavy for me. I don't use batting in the middle, I used flannel sheets from thrift stores, it makes the edges fuller and fluffier (sp). There isn't a pattern, I make up what I like. You can go to etsy.com and see plenty of rag quilts to get ideas (I don't know how to put pictures on here). I have a few on Etsy, my store is The Golden Attic. I do suggest you take your quilt to a laundry mat for the first washing, especially if it is large. I also draw out my design (found that on a youtube video) and label each row with a little sticky dot to make it easier to put together. The bigger the squares, the less squares it takes. Also get a pair of rag quilt scissors it will help with the clipping. I use fiskars (sp?) and they really help keep me from nipping the seams or fabric. Please post your quilt, the colors sound beautiful.