Old 09-08-2012, 08:59 PM
DeedeeSwift

Question Need Advice on an Unfinished for a dear friend...

I love this board and am confident someone will (hopefully) read and make sense of this project and say to themselves, "I know what that is..it's a such-and-so and this is all you need to do to finish it!"

Interested in input, even if it means taking parts of this thing apart and re-assembling it in a more traditional manner, but I'd rather try to find a way to go forward if I can.

Here's my problem. One of my good friends is a sweetie, but can't sew a stitch. She brought me a
somewhat unfinished quilt that she would really like finished. She's a dear friend and I love her and I really want
to do this for her and of course I said, "sure dear, (gulp) no problem!" Her sister-in-law started it years ago and, as these stories typically go, she died before she could finish it. It was to be a quilt for my friend's daughter, who was too young to participate in anything other than picking the fabric (little green frogs and so forth). Dot is a sweet kid and is now finishing grad school and, as these stories go, would be so grateful to receive a treasure from a beloved aunt. Up until this point it has been packed away in a closet.

The quilt top is a set of apprx. 5" squares sewn together and appears to be
complete. Not all the squares fit together exactly so I am trying to avoid taking it apart.
The backing is green flannel and appears that it was meant to be
pieced. It's hard to tell how this thing was intended to be finished. Is there a
standard pattern or method that has binding on only 3 sides and a pieced
backing?
Because, that's what this appears to be.. it's partially quilted and
the batting appears to be damaged, but I think I can fix that part.
Packed with the quilt was plenty of backing material (flannel) and
what appears to be material for binding (uncut complimentary fabric yardage).

Imagine:
The quilt top is 5" squares sewn together in a pattern 19 X 16. All along one side of the quilt, the top, batting and the partial pieced backing (flannel) were sewn together right sides together..then some quilting (stitch in a ditch) was started along some rows of the squares, appearing to leave the other three sides "open" (batting top and backing hanging out), as if waiting for binding. I've been looking around trying to find a
method this might match.

I'm quite hopeful that someone will figure this out and say,
"oh that's a such-and-so" and the mystery will
be solved OR a way to finish it with the backing and binding material remaining.
Thank you all in advance for advice or suggestions.

Deedee