View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by moedersaar View Post
please explain what birting a quilt is for us that that dont know. is there a picture oe tutorial I have never heard of this sounds interresting.
I will try and explain- hope my directions are clear- If you have ever made a pillow case or a long tube that you sew the right sides together and leave on end open . then turn this inside out - the quilt top and bottom of the quilt are placed right sides of fabric together with the batting on top of one of these, sew around three of the sides and part of the other side, so you are securing the batting, top and backing together then turn this inside out through the opening you left, and sewing that part together. Then you have the quilt with the right sides of fabric on the outside and the batting is inside - this is what everyone is talking about - I too dislike the term birthing, prefer the pillow case term. (If you have a pillow case that is turned wrong when washed and you turn it inside out when you dry it, this is the same thing only you are doing this to a quilt and putting the batting on either the top or bottom, sewing and turning it.) Hope this makes sense it's the only way I know to explain it.