View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 10:09 AM
sewplease

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I have never made a true scrappy quilt. I know, it sounds horrible. But I haven't. I always have fabric lines that I work with. And to me, that's not a scrappy quilt. I think a scrappy quilt is everything thrown in. I would really like to try one....first I have to find a pattern. Now I need a pattern.
Jeanne, ladynredd gave you some great advice. I would just add this: Go to Bonnie Hunter's website (www.quiltville.com) and on the right side she has a bunch of free patterns listed. Find one you like and only cut up some scraps in the size that you will need. Some of her patterns only require one size like 2.5 inch strips and squares. The first one I did was Bricks and Stepping Stones. It required 3.5 x 6.5 bricks (any color), and 2 inch black and neutral strips for 4-patches. I had to buy some black and used it as a constant. However, I had lots of shirting FQs and simply cut some 2" strips from them. Some of them I had for YEARS - what was I saving them for? It was VERY liberating cutting up my scraps and FQs. Don't worry about attacking all of your scraps at once.

If you like the process, you will start cutting more scraps as you go. It's like getting another stash.
:-)