Old 09-09-2012, 07:23 PM
quiltingweb

"How do I make sure I'm super careful to center the blocks when I trim if I continue to do this the (incorrect) way that I started? Is there a tool I can buy to help me with this?"

If you cut new squares for your corners, I would cut them bigger than you need, sew, press and trim to size...AFTER you've sewn them on. That way, if they're not completely squared up with your edges, you can trim to square after they're sewn and pressed. I use one of the slotted cutting guides from June Taylor, the Shape Cut with half inch increments. I like it for cutting just about anything and squaring it up.

I read somewhere...it was an old pattern or article...to always make ONE BLOCK first before cutting all of your blocks...so you know how it will turn out...just in case you've read something wrong, or instructions are wrong. I hadn't thought of that, and I was always happily cutting all of my pieces...til I found a pattern that was off by a half inch for ONE of the pieces...

Last edited by quiltingweb; 09-09-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: additional information