Old 09-09-2012, 07:57 PM
kristakz

Originally Posted by TaraW View Post
Krista,

How do I make sure I'm super careful to center the blocks when I trim if I continue to do this the (incorrect) way that I started? Is there a tool I can buy to help me with this?
I don't know about a tool that would do this. I think you just need to figure out the measurement and use a square to trim them all. The important thing is going to be to make sure you have exactly the same size corners on all the blocks after you trim. So taken one block, lay a square ruler on top of it and see what size block you think you can cut. Without having it in front of my, it's hard to say, but if you are adding 3x3x4 triangles to the blocks I think you'll get around 2 1/4" corners in the end, with about 3.5" along the edge of your snowball block. But don't take those measurements as true - you need to try it with a block. Just make sure when you trim that you have the same size triangle on each edge. Once you find the right measurements, you might want to mark your ruler with tape, so you can align all the blocks the same way.

If you have enough fabric to recut the corner squares, the measurement you need is 4 1/4" to fit the 3x3x4" triangles you cut off the snowballs. A hint - try this on one block, before you cut a lot of squares. This is a good idea for any quilt you are making - sometimes the pattern is wrong and it's better to find out before you cut too much.