View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Elisabrat

the counter if still full of all those beautiful jars of jam.. only one taker my hubby.. sigh. he loves strawberry jam and I fear there might not be much left if he gets at it. eats it with a spoon good thing I make low sugar still a ton of sugar in it sigh..

got one block for anastasia in rubys done and Aprils heart block. another set to cut tonight.. gonna go take a short nap however so I dont mess up the measurements. I am grand at seeing cut 4.5 and cutting a nice long 4.25 strip for no apparent reason like I check it twice before I cut do the finger, block on block two across the cutting tool and I see I have it right only to see.. oh noyou didnt. how to not end up with enough fabric and rethinking your pattern .. so slow is good. that scant quarter inch sorry it sucks. it should be 1/4 inch and thats it, blocks then be 12 inches period and well thats my opinion. I am now using kellys technique of cutting up 1/4 if you have a block onto of a block sewn together then cut into two units.. you can trim down you can not however trim them up.. it is working. ALSO blue tape showing the quarter inch line going from just infront of needle to down the front of machine, painters tape works wonders. Then I eye it closely so its exactly a toothpick size away from that line as itmoves into and under the needle and tada almost no trimming at all.. why machines dont have that line if everything needs a stupid scant 1/4 inch why isnt it on the machine already? new design is what they need lol my new low end brother.. is way easier now to get that line than my old old singer. dont know why but its true. holds the fabric moves easier and its easier to gage and move with the fabric. all else fails nexxus pencil mark that just under quarter inch mark on the back (ok use a quilters pencil) and then sew on that line only til your eye is trained to get it. just my humble opinion.. I am just now getting it most of the time and freely admit that was my nemisis and still is.