Thread: Newbie Question
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 04:20 AM
totosmom

Welcome to QB ocydroma. Glad to know you have taken the Big Step towards quilting. Classes are definitely the way to go, and you might want to visit your local quilt stores to find out if there are any quilt guilds in your area. You'll learn so much from other quilters.

As for your question, it all depends on what you are doing, but since you specifically mention quilting, I'd go with a simple sewing machine. To start you don't need anything fancy ... and of course your choice will need to play well with your budget. For bells and whistles, I'd look for a starter machine from a solid name like Bernina, Janome or Brother. They will happily provide customer service which every beginner (and some veterans) needs. For economy and reliability, I'd consider a vintage Singer 301 which makes a beautiful stitch and is portable for your classes. The Kenmore 158 series are also highly praised but I mostly see them in cabinets (= not very portable!).

I have learned to live without all the bells and whistles because I love those old machines, but a beginner will probably look for a needle down option, thread cutter, and large throat space. An extension table and a 1/4 inch foot would be great too.

Whatever you choose, keep us posted.