Old 09-10-2012, 08:32 AM
irishrose

Hello, dreamer. My 301 came from a smoking household, I'm sure. I cleaned her with a toothbrush and a Oxiclean solution because I couldn't find my Simple Green. Of course, you can't soak it, but it came wonderfully clean by scrubbing and wiping it off quickly. A coat of any kind of wax you have available and you're good to go. Toothpicks and pipe cleaners work for crevices. AnnieRose didn't need any pipe cleaners. Sewing machine oil in all the oil spots - I took the top off and soaked it, then Singer lubricant on the gears. Remove the bottom cover and do the same. This machine will need oiling oftener than the newer machines you are used to. I oil after every quilt and grease every 6 months. If you didn't get a manual, they are available free online. ISMACS or Jenny at sew-classics has them. The oil spots and how to clean the bobbin area are in the manual, so you do need one. You have to remove the screws in the needle plate to clean the bobbin and be sure to put the little finger back in the slot in bottom of the plate when you put it back together. It not hard and you can do it.

You'll love this little machine!