Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 AM
x7lillies

Question Free-Standing Quilt Display at a Craft Show?

Hi everyone,

I think I'll be doing a craft show locally on December 1st, and I was hoping for some advice. My plan is to make many smaller items, like pillow covers, potholders, table runners, coordinating placemats, ornaments, etc. I also plan on making one or two lap-quilts, maybe a crib-sized blanket or two, and I have a queen-sized quilt (90" x 90") to sell. My mother-in-law used to own a quilt shop, and so she still has many display items like small quilt racks, table-top displays, etc., that she's said I can use. I still have no way to display the large quilt in an eye-catching way. I'm not really planning on it selling, since it's expensive, but I was hoping I could use it to bring people to my table from a distance. To do that, I need to have it opened (not folded) and displayed high.

The problem is that I have equal chances of being against a concrete wall and in the middle of a room (no walls!), and since it's not a quilt show, the organizers do not offer anything for hanging. I've heard of people using ladders in a pinch, but I don't have any (we live in a 1-floor apartment). I'm willing to spend maybe $20, but any more than that would not be worth it, I don't think. Also, I drive a Honda Civic 2-door, so it has to be collapsable. My husband does have a roof rack system and a slightly larger sedan (the seats fold down to the trunk in both cars), but seeing as how the show is in December and this is upstate NY, I wouldn't count on the weather being nice (or the slush that'd get kicked up on the way there).

Any ideas? If you've got an idea that gets the quilt high-up, but not completely un-folded, that might work, too. By "high" I just mean that the top of the quilt should be at least 7.5' off the ground.