View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 12:20 PM
sandybeach

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for you to get involved. They need some new blood that will shake things up and bring new ideas in. At each meeting we have a business portion that includes upcoming events, speakers, trips, retreats, etc. We also have a block of the month that is selected each month by the same person. You can make up to three and get three tickets. Whoever's ticket is drawn wins all of the blocks. We also have raffle tickets for small prizes like patterns, rulers, etc. Also we have a fat quarter drawing that is centered on one theme or one color you can bring as many fats as you want and get a ticket for each. Whoever wins gets all of the fat quarters (I won purple on my first try - 45 fat quarters). Then we have a show-n-tell. Then if we have a speaker they start. The speaker usually holds one- or two-day classes following the Thursday night meeting. We also have a ice cream sunday meeting and a Christmas party meeting. We also have a sew-in at least twice a month on a Saturday where you can bring whatever you want to work on or help someone else work on their project. Every other year we have a Quilt Show at the fairgrounds. So we keep pretty busy. We have about 150 people registered (some that never come at all). We also have a quilters challenge each year. One person decides what theme, color, or whatever will be the challenge and then we have viewer's choice winners. I did last years challenge, it was a lot of fun and I had over 50 people sign up for it. So, jump in and volunteer, you may just get others to do the same.