View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Sierra

If studying someone else's quilt and then making it your own (with a few variations) is wrong, then call the sherrif! With the exception of the first quilt I ever made I have never used a pattern. My quilt designs come from my meditation on the person for whom I'm makin it, OR (big OR) from my studying the pictures of quilts on places like QB. But, don't get excited.... chances are strong that you would be astounded if I showed you my quilt and said "it's just like yours!" You wouldn't believe it, because mine is from my mind, my stash, my color sense + the person for whom it is made. (Not to mention the fact that your sewing skill is undoubtably much better than mine!)

I think it's like admiring someone's photo of Yosemite and going out and taking one yourself. It can't be the same because of camera, lighting, skill, etc. It can't be done! How many Ansel Adams wannabes are out there! Thousands!!! If I have used an element, or even the best exact imitation of your quilt I can manage in my 100 or so quilts I have made, please be very complimented because I am very fussy about design. If you do blocks, don't worry.... I HATE BLOCKS!!!! Don't have the patience to keep doing the same thing over and over. Friends talk about how restful it is to them... aren't we lucky we are all different! I've heard more than one woman say she always quilts by hand, usually in the evening while watching TV with hubby. I can't even hold a needle in my old hands anymore and when I could I did it as little as possible. Viva la difference!