View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 06:41 PM
alisonquilts

Originally Posted by x7lillies View Post
If I may, you might try strip chain stitching the rectangles (and the inner squares for that matter), a la log cabin construction. It goes so much faster, and you'll be making all the identical blocks at the same time.

Also, I also found the string quilt technique today and thought it'd be a great way to use up my scraps!
Yes, strip chain stitching is certainly the fastest. Most of my scraps are truly tiddly, though, and I don't usually have more than two or three "sets" of rectangles for any given fabric - and it is often pretty tight to get even one set. Also, without getting too obsessive about it, I am trying to have as many different combinations as possible, which makes strip chain piecing problematic. I do chain the blocks though - I can do about thirty completed blocks in an hour, from selecting the combinations from my larder of squares and rectangle sets, to having the pressed, completed block (she says boastfully). I wonder how many blocks I have at this point? The mind boggles...

I have only done about 20 of the string pieced blocks so far (ran out of skinny bits long enough to use) and I must say they do look nice! My non-scrappy brain is forcing me to make them monochromatic, which actually looks pretty cool.

Alison