View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 07:06 PM
weasier22

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Love the blocks, the quilt is going to be a knockout!
Sorry if you answered this in one of the other threads, but did you stablize the silk before you cut it? I can see that you have stay stitched your blocks too. I have a bunch of silk shirts I want to make into a quilt but am too intimidated to start cutting.
I didn't stabilize the silk before cutting. I found the straight grain an cut on that. I'm sewing the strips onto a foundation piece cut 13" square. I stay stitched around the edges just to help keep the small pieces from flipping up. Wanted to keep them down! It will help to keep the fabrics flat when I sew the blocks together. I'm not going to sash around the blocks. I want this to really look like a crazy quilt. I rather like how the blocks look all placed next to each other. I now have 16 blocks done!! I too was intimidated by the thought of cutting the shirts. But I figured ... what the hey ... and went at it! I hope you do make a quilt out of your silk shirts. It's really a lot of fun to see how each block takes on its own character.