Old 09-11-2012, 06:58 AM
An Arm Long

I have a majestic frame with a Baby Lock Crown Jewel machine. At the Baby Lock class in St. Louis I was able to use both a Pinnacle and a Majestic. I liked the Majestic better. It is very sturdy. Mine is 120 inches (10 ft.) which will hold a large queen and possibly a king if it is loaded sideways. I just did a 90 inch by 107 inch quilt with no problem. I think I could get an extension to put in the middle to make it 144 inches for a large king, but I do not have room for that.
The only problem with my frame is the handle for turning on the take up rail. It has a knob and you are supposed to be able to turn the rail using the knob, but the handle and knob are plastic and the rails are hard enough to turn that I am afraid I will break the handle. I just turn the rail with my hand on either side of the quilt - no problem. One of my classmates said that her handle broke when she used it on a big quilt so I just don't use it. Perhaps they have changed that by now. (The handle is really not necessary.)
The frame needs to be level and is a job to set up, but if you are going to leave it permanantly then that is no problem. It is very heavy and sturdy - does not give at all when the machine is moving over it. My Crown Jewel moves very smoothly.
It came in several boxes and one had black flat hard plastic in rolls to slide into the edge of the table for the wheels on the machine to roll on. Since the table came in two halves that you have to put together, I cut the black runner plastic in half also and installed it on the two halves separately. Then put the tables together as directed. Then found that the machine would give a little jump when it went over the connection between the halves of the black plastic. So I had to order another black roll and put it on in one long piece AFTER the halves of the table were connected. (The instructions did not explain completely how to put the black runner on and I doubt that anyone else tried to do what I did at first.) Afterwards it did fine. The runners are very important - do not let them get any nicks or cuts in them or they will not provide a smoothe surface for the wheels to move on. It came with a DVD showing how to put it together as well as an instruction book.
I am very happy with my frame. It was well worth the trouble to set it up as it is so sturdy and heavy. I am tall and so was able to adjust the feet for my own height. I have not had a problem with backache as I have heard some on the board talk about with their frames. I have quilted 21 quilts on it in just over a year.
Perhaps your dealer will help you set it up for whichever frame you choose. If it is a majestic, you can PM me and I can talk you through it over the phone.