Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 AM
kathyjg

I love your colors, please post when you are done. I love making rag quilts and playing with with different designs. The ones I have done with cotton quilting material do not seem to fringe as well as the flannels one do. Also, flannel seems to shed more than the other material. I am always on the look out for scraps of flannel and flannel sheets when I am out shopping garage sales and thrift stores. Some mens flannel shirts are very heavy and good for piecing. I have done them with batting and without batting and u8sually always use flannel on the back. Just finished a baby quilt where I only ragged the edges. I have made so far all baby and young children quilts but did make a twin size for on of my DGS for graduation. I have some large ones cut out and ready to work on for Christmas for my 11 G-kids. I have also tied the quilt and fringed the edges. Can't you tell I really enjoy making them--I am a newbie and this was one way to get myself started with quilting since I could use material that I found at thrift stores and garage sales. The one I am working on now is actually a wall hanging and I redesigned it into a rag baby quilt. I am a leftie and I found the fringing shears hard to work with, so I use my cutting shears. Do you have an Accuquilt? The have a template with the fringing already cut. I asked Santa for one because it sure would making my life easier! Enjoy--I was overwhelmed with my first one! Kathy