View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 01:18 PM
FroggyinTexas

NO! FW's are status symbols, particularly if you can find one at a garage sale or estate sale for under $100. If I had one, which I don't, I doubt that I would ever use because I like my Janome 4600, which has lots of bells and whistles and is light enough to take anywhere. My old workhorse, a Kenmore, is all steel, heavy as lead, virtually impossible to get out of its cabinet and will sew anything, including leather. I also have a Singer from about 1942 in the most beautiful cabinet I have ever seen. It makes a wonderful straight stitch, but it is not by any stretch of the imagination portable. Featherweights are fun for those who have them and if one fell ito my lap, I certainly wouldn't turn it away--but I doubt that anyone "needs" one. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by vmhlake View Post
I own 4 sewing machines, a model 66 Singer treadle machine, an Elna Quilter's Dream, a 301A Singer and a Singer Touch n Sew.

I need to know what benefit it would be to purchase a FW? As you can probably tell I am trying to convince myself that I need to have one.

I have been sewing quilts for 12 years now, don't do my own quilting on larger pieces, don't have room for a long arm quilting machine, I use all my machines.

Any suggestions?