View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 01:35 PM
x7lillies

Default first attempt at cathedral windows

I stumbled upon the cathedral window "quilting" method a while back and thought, how beautiful! Then I started to do some squares and realized how much work it is (and how much I kind of hate the part where you have to fold over the edges to start the blocks). I basted the first fold to the center, just to keep my sanity, with a zig-zag stitch. Since you don't see it in the finished product, I figured no harm done. I did hand-stitch the windows with a hidden applique stitch so the thread doesn't show anywhere but the tacking in the centers of the blocks (but you really can't see it anyway). Anyway, I decided it was too much work and patience for even a lap quilt, so I sized my blocks for a cover for an 18" pillow I have that's seen better days. I think it turned out really nice!

I chose a clearance bundle from the local Joann's that kind of had a Japanese feel to it, but loses it a little when it's pieced out for window squares. I call it "Koi Pond". I like how the fish look like they're swimming in and out of the "windows" The photo is all "informative" because I used it to apply to a juried craft show. Now I'm wondering if I should make another? Or try to sell another (or two) at said show (assuming I'm accepted)?
Attached Thumbnails koi-pond-cathedral-window-pillow-cover.jpg