Old 09-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

In googling "modern quilt guild" and scrolling thru many sites I noticed several things and will jump in with my two cents here.

Many of these quilts now appear to use large prints in previously (10 years ago) unpopular color combinations, yet these prints are 'all over' the fabric world today. ('Somebody' is buying them! That's good!)

Many of the quilters appear to be younger than the average quilter previously (12-15 years ago) seen in the survey in QNMazagine whixh was 54 years old. (Yippee!! New blood always regenerates.)

Many of these quilts seem to be made in styles highly reminiscent of 'leading edge' quilters of the late 1980s and mid 1990s, such as Johnathan Shannon, Katie Pasquini, Yvonne Porcella, Nancy Crow, Ruth McDowell, Terrie Mangat, and tens and tens of others I can't think of off the top of my head at the moment. Their quilts were award-winning, controversial, discussion-provoking then, and the same styles are so now, apparently.

And then there was the "discovery" of the Gees Bend Quilters in the very early 2000s.......!!!

It seems there really isn't much "new" under the sun. I, personally, love it!! (...though I may still be focused on "traditional" blocks done in "traditional" colors for the most part, in my personal quilt journey. )

Jan in VA