View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Ellen

Think "Unincorporated" parts of FL. You'd only have to deal with the County if you had a complaint or whatever. One of the reasons rent is so high on the coasts is because of insurance. A lot of FL can't get homeowners insurance hence we're stuck with Citizens Insurance to the tune of at least $2000 a yr no matter the value of your house. (If you rent, you don't have to worry about that but then in the end, you do pay it in higher rent.) We also have our insurance divided into 2 categories....No Name Storms and Named Storms....paying separately for each. (How stupid does that sound?) I'm not planning on buying insurance next yr....I've been here for 29 years and never had a claim. With a deductible of $3500 and 2% of value of house...if I lose a roof, I can just fix it on my own. BTW, the State of Florida's Citizens Insurance is BROKE.
I do love where I live tho....I'm on a hill looking down at the Gulf of Mexico, due west of Tampa. It's very small town in the old town section. There are cities around me where you can find anything you want. There's a huge LQS about 5 miles south of me. Many, many doctors with specialties affiliated with a very good hospital not far from me.
Good luck on your quest.