View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 08:41 AM
x7lillies

Originally Posted by quiltin chris View Post
What a great job. I never had the desire to do that pattern because of all the handwork.
Looks like a wonderful pillow
Thanks, Chris! I find the handwork to be soothing. For a long time I didn't have a sewing machine, so I used to do baby quilts and smaller projects all by hand. Now I can make any size project I want with my machine, but sometimes I miss the hand-stitching. I find it calming - no noise, just me and a needle delicately securing the fabric so you can't tell I like embroidery every once in a while, too.

What really annoyed me about this process (and what made me take so long between sessions of working on it) was the folding! I think if I do another, I'll fold, baste, and press all the blocks at once, then stitch them together and lay out the windows. Since I know how big I want it, that should make it a little more streamlined (and hopefully faster). I can finish a window in about 10 minutes, and there are 24 of those, plus probably another 12 minutes per block (16 of those), plus probably 45 minutes of ironing and cutting the squares...that's about 8 hours! I think the profit margin on these would be low with respect to how many hours I put in! Maybe I can get faster...