View Single Post
Old 09-12-2012, 11:59 PM
blueheavenfla

Smile

Dear Quilting Friend,
I was born in Chicago, raised in Indianapolis where I took my nurses training. As soon as I passed my State Board Exams, I moved to Madeira Beach, (nice then but a tourist area now) outside St. Pete (1958) and moved north for a few years so my spouse could attend Purdue. Shortly after his graduation, I moved back to FL but this time to Brevard County, where the Space Center is located. In fact, I live on Merritt Island, an unincorporated area; my home is about 20 miles south of the Space Center which is also located on Merritt Island. We are on the east coast with the Atlantic ocean and 2 rivers a few miles apart that run parallel to the ocean. Merritt Island is between the 2 rivers. We get a breeze most of the year, rarely have freezes as the water from the 2 rivers keeps the temp more stable. There are many incorporated areas that you may have heard of...Titusville, Cocoa, Cocoa Beach, Rockledge, Melbourne, Satellite Beach, Indialantic (a beach community), Melbourne Beach, Palm Bay. We have 6 or more hospitals and are less than 60 miles from Orlando. Our county is about 60 miles long and about 20 wide. On the west side we have yet another river which actually runs north to Jacksonville. If you will look at a map and note where the round lakes are, you will know that they have been formed by sink holes (think Orlando, Lakeland and others). Inland areas are hotter and more humid in the summer where breezes are less likely to blow. Lightning capitol...yes. I have lived here over 50 years and have not been struck by lightening whereas our house in Indiana was struck. Hurricanes, yes. Get hurricane shutters and relax. I would avoid any area along the I-4 corridor....tourists, traffic, sinkholes, fires and more. If your girls are of school age, check the area schools and move where you are assured that they will go to a good school. We also have Brevard Community College with a local connection to the University of Central Florida. Our hospitals have connections to good universities, as well.

May I suggest using PODS rather than moving trucks. You can pack yourself or hire it done and they will store the POD in a climate controlled place (must be safe as it is where the owners stayed in a POD in the warehouse during the many hurricanes of 2004...safely) and will deliver it to your home when you locate one and again, Unpack yourself or hire it done. That way, you only have to pack in your car for a month with minimal dishes, pots etc (paper goods is great for this time period) Do bring a couple sweaters each if you think that you will be here in the chilly months.

If you would like to talk on the phone, PM me and we can exchange phone numbers. My phone is a cell (Verizon) and I try to use it on weekends only as it is a family plan with 4 users, one of whom is chronically ill and makes many phone calls to MD's during the week. BTW, the daughter who is chronically ill lives in Lakeland and HATES it there...bad weather...too hot, too humid, few really good doctors, seems to get an unusually large amount of the lightening. The east coast breezes and the west coast breezes seem to collide between Orlando and Lakeland on many summer days.

Oh yes, we have several LQS, Hancocks, Hobby Lobby and Joann's is in Melbourne. From our house, they range from 3 to 20 miles away. We also have at least 3 quilt guilds that I am aware of.

Whatever and wherever you decide, I wish you the best of luck!
Donna Thompson

Last edited by blueheavenfla; 09-13-2012 at 12:04 AM.