Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by brenwalt View Post
To keep is simple: We "all" understand what a traditional quilt is. Anything "outside" the "traditional box" is a "modern quilt." To be fair to your entrants: Have separate categories for hand quilting, domestic machine quilting, mid arm quilting, and long arm quilting. This is the thing that really bugs me at quilt shows - "lumping" all into just one category. By having more quilting method categories will automatically categorize many of the quilts. Also, as long as I'm at it: Would love to see another category that includes quilts quilted by other than the maker of the quilt top. Really irritates the crap out of me to see professionally quilted quilts win "Best of Show" awards when the maker of the top sent it out to be "professionally" quilted.

Aren't you being a little too assumptive here??

If you read the previous posts there has been lots of discussion as to what "traditional" REALLY is?
Thus NO ... we don't "all" agree on traditional.

As for classes at shows ...
Some allow only quilts that are made beginning to end by one person. Some allow many hands along the way.
Sometimes they are designated classes for each variable. Sometimes all lumped together.
Those shows have made their decisions re classes and that's their choices.
So long as they "define" the class distinctions, I fully respect whatever their choices are.

The only way things can change, is if you and others discuss it with them.
I've seen shows that have made the changes after getting feedback ... and no doubt MUCH discussion within their organizing group.

While maybe not in your locale, many shows do have separate classes for different quilting methods.

PS ... Many times I've seen the professionally quilted quilt NOT receive Best of Show.
And when it has ... it has shown the exceptional talents of both the piecer and the quilter.
What's wrong with that?? ... when it's clearly The BEST of Show!!!!!!