View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by May in Jersey View Post
I often tell the cutter to give me what's on the bolt but never been offered or received the end of the bolt discount at the Joann's I go to but I'm going to ask for it next time. Never any mention about discount to guild members either. I have received 50% off of remants so I always browse them. Need some new rulers so that's what my next coupons will be used for. I find that after a few years use the bottom edge where I begin cutting wears away a bit and the cut if off in the corners.

Gal you made out great with the end of bolts whites, creams and ecru fabrics at your Joann's. That's the fabrics I always try to stock up on when I can get them at good prices as that's the colors I like to use as background in many of my quilts..
In my experience, both at JoAnn's and at Wal-Mart, it depends on the cutter's knowledge of how fabric should be sold. Experienced cutters or people who sew and buy fabric themselves always offer the end of bolt discount. Others are more literal and charge you full price for whatever is left on the bolt.

I wish our JoAnn's was as good as the one the first poster described. If you're lucky enough to get the manager at our store, she'll readily offer discounts; if you get one of the young men who work there or a new employee it's a different story. We have 3 places to buy fabric: JoAnn's (not what it used to be), Wal-Mart (if you can find someone to cut fabric!) and Hobby Lobby (always tidy and has permanent discounts but employees can be rude). I'm showing my age now, but I miss shopping for fabric at Penney's and Sears and I miss our Hancock's, long gone. Quilt shops here don't last long; there are none here now that I know of.