Old 09-14-2012, 04:57 AM
Hinterland

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
the reason why I mentioned the binding is a judge in the local fair saw one of my quilts and urged me to enter it, but she said I would need to re-do the binding. I had sewn it by machine, as I do all my quilts, so I guess shows are out for me.
Please don't let that stop you. I think we get too wrapped up in this "binding must be perfect" idea.

The Vermont Quilt Festival uses a point system in their judging. Out of 100 points, binding accounts for 5 of them. If you make a really lousy binding, you will lose 5 points, which may be the difference between Exceptional Merit and First Place, but it certainly doesn't lock you out of a ribbon.

While other shows don't use the same system, I am sure that the binding is not the be all and end all of judging. How do I know? I've entered quilts with some pretty sad binding, and won ribbons with them.

Make the best quilt you can, the best way you know how. Make it a design you love and don't obsess over what a judge will think. If you love the quilt, then anything they say won't matter - in most cases, their comments are helpful. You might surprise yourself with a ribbon....but you won't if you don't enter.

Janet