View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 03:46 PM
mermaid

Just a suggestion for quick little quilts--a panel with strips around 4 sides to the size needed. I've been making the small quilts for my local nursing home for quite a while. They are so appreciated...but...even more so are the wheelchair bags & walker bags. The residents want storage for their own things and to keep their belongings close. A nh employee told me the bags were special, and I try to make all the gifts special with embroidered cute sayings and designs. I put pockets for their glasses, and cell phones--yep, many of them have their own phones! She told me once that some residents have laptops and welcome the storage bags for their wheel chairs. But as "Neesie" said, I was told to make the wheelchair quilts a little smaller--like 36 x 36 or not much bigger. For bed throws or wraparounds, they can be larger. Today I discussed ''what else is needed'' with the administrator. Know what she said? Maybe I could give some time to help teach some of them some quilting basics! So they can have hobbies with purpose. You know, many of us will be there one of these days.