View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Daylesewblessed

On the subject of teaching quilting to nursing home residents:

Once/month I bring a batch of prepped fleece blankets for Project Linus to an assisted living center for a work session. The residents do the "braided loop edge" on blankets that I have gotten ready for them. All they have to do is a simple finger crochet of the loops all around the blanket. This is an assisted living facility, not a nursing home. Even so, many of the residents are unable to do the work either because their fingers won't cooperate or they no longer have the cognitive ability.

Those who can do it love it! Some who cannot do it just sit and enjoy the session. Everyone seems to enjoy my "entertainment" as I tell them about my latest quilt projects and frequently bring "show and tell." I also inform them about the activities of our local Project Linus chapter. The important thing here is that ladies who for decades have given to their communities have an opportunity to continue by making something for children in need. That makes them feel useful.

The ladies would love to have sessions more frequently, but I am limited in the resources of time for prepping the fleece and money for purchasing it. As it is, we complete at least 15 blankets/month.

I urge anyone who is interested in leading any classes or work sessions in residential facilities to give it a try -- I find it to be very rewarding. The activities director would be the one to coordinate with.

Dayle