Old 10-08-2009, 06:01 AM
ai731

I was going to post about it closer to the Olympics in case anyone from the board was going, because it's going to be on display in Vancouver during the Olympics.

The Quilt of Belonging was made in the next county over from where I live, and some of the ladies in my Quilt Guild helped to stitch it! I've attended a presentation by the designer / project co-ordinator, and seen the quilt in real life when it was on display.

If you ever get the chance to see it, do. It's truly amazing. It's not a traditional quilt (there's no batting), each individual block is appliqued onto the backing - but the individual blocks, and the overall design is awesome. Not only is every country in the world represented (and Esther, the designer, actually tracked down someone from each county who was living in Canada - luckily we're pretty close to Ottawa so she was able to contact the Embassies of many countries) but so is every Native tribe / group in Canada. In many cases the blocks were hand-made by individual immigrants using precious fabrics from their homeland. In some cases the representative of a country would sit down with a local quilter and design the block, perhaps also providing some traditional fabrics, and then the quilter would create the block.

The USA block is a gorgeous combination of a log cabin block and a traditional cross-stitch sampler.

I think there are pictures of each block on the website.

And if you're lucky enough to be going to Vancouver for the Olympics, be sure to go see the Quilt of Belonging while you are there!

Jan