Old 09-15-2012, 02:09 AM
Fuzzykittenbutt

Default Advice Needed: Machine Appliqued Quilt Top and Hand Quilting in the Ditch?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but not soo new to quilting. However, I'm currently working on my very first applique quilt; a baby quilt for a friend of mine. Here's the front so far:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]362808[/ATTACH]

I've machine appliqued the animals, tree branch, leaves and apple with a tight zigzag stitch. A perched owl is still missing and some applique on the blue corner blocks as well, but I'm already thinking about how I'm going to quilt this. My backing fabric is this one here.

My first quilt was a log cabin quilt with hand quilting in the ditch and I really liked how it turned out and was wondering if anyone here has done a modified version of in the ditch quilting with applique. I was thinking that when I hand quilt it I could make sure to come up *under* the machine applique zigzag stitching, so that essentially the outline of the animals, tree branch, leaves and apple would show up only on the back of the quilt. Has anyone done this before? Does it have a name? And what are your experiences with it.

I also want to do some sort of abstract quilting for the sky background, meadow and borders, but that part should be easy enough.

So what do you all think? Thanks for your help!!
Kei
Attached Thumbnails 2sheep.jpg